Sunday, April 5, 2015

i learned it from watching you!


When I was in middle school, I had a little bit of a potty mouth (ok a pretty terrible mouth actually). I went to church and listen to Bible stories and lessons, but I didn't live it out. I would invite my friends to youth group and the different activities but they never came and I never knew why.

One day this kid from my neighborhood, who was literally the worst person I knew, told me I cursed too much. Until that moment I don't think I ever realized that there were bad consequences to the way I talked. I mean, I knew if my mom heard me I'd be in big trouble, but I never thought that it made a difference otherwise. God used that to change the way I talk.

A few years ago, a friend was upset and telling me what she was mad about while cursing a mile a minute. At one point, she stopped, looked at me funny, and said, "you don't curse," then continued venting without cursing. I never told this person that I don't curse, she just noticed it over the years we have known each other.

Let the one who is taught the word share all good things with the one who teaches. Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one sows, that will he also reap. For the one who sows to his own flesh will from the flesh reap corruption, but the one who sows to the Spirit will from the Spirit reap eternal life. And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. (Galatians 6:6-10 ESV)

In this passage, Paul is talking about how good choices have good consequences and bad choices have bad consequences, right? He uses a farming analogy to explain though. If we sow (or plant) our flesh (which refers to our sinful, worldly desires), we will reap (or grow or harvest) corruption. If we sow the Spirit, we will reap eternal life.

Seems like an obvious choice – I want eternal life, not corruption.

In youth group, Jeff mentioned Liam being frustrated that bad decisions get him bad consequences but he wondered when he's ever going to get good consequences for his good decisions. Do you ever feel that way? I know I do at times. That's why Paul that encourages us not to give up and to continue doing good. He knows it won't always be easy; that doing what is right can be quite difficult. But, eventually there will be good consequences!

Answer This:
1) I have seen bad consequences for my bad language and good consequences from my clean language. Is there an area you reap what you've sown – good or bad?

2) Do not be deceived: God is not mocked, for whatever one _______________, that will he also _______________.

3) Can you relate to Liam? Do you ever feel like there are only bad consequences not good consequences?


4) Take a minute to journal about this passage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Written for the youth group devotional book.

No comments:

Post a Comment