Monday, February 16, 2015

Are You Content?

Pete aka “Drug Lord Pedro” aka Lauren & Michael’s dad, whatever you prefer to call him, used to be my youth leader back when I was in middle school. One day Jeff, Pete and I were reminiscing about those days and I said one of the few things I remember from then was Pete standing in the stairwell on the bus on the way to the Superbowl refusing to look at Christmas lights because it was before Thanksgiving. Pete was a little crushed that the one thing that I remember was so trivial and not some great lesson he taught or anything. 

[Philippians 4:10-13: I rejoiced in the Lord greatly that now at length you have revived your concern for me. You were indeed concerned for me, but you had no opportunity. Not that I am speaking of being in need, for I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content. I know how to be brought low, and I know how to abound. In any and every circumstance, I have learned the secret of facing plenty and hunger, abundance and need. I can do all things through him who strengthens me.]

That’s a hard passage to swallow! Whether he's rich or poor, Paul's learned to be content. What does it mean to be content?
Contrary to what I may have led him believe, I actually do remember something Pete taught. He was probably teaching on the very passage you just read. He was explaining what it means to be content. Pete said, “Being content is desiring what you have.”
I don’t know about you, but I don’t always desire what I have. I don't desire day to day subbing or snowy, icy weather. I desire a real teaching job, a husband, a warm place to live. 
So what's the secret to being content that Paul discovered? "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." If I can be content with Christ – if I can desire my relationship with Him, the rest kinda falls into place. Not that life suddenly becomes perfect but if Christ is our focus, it doesn't matter whether we've got a lot or a little. 


1. Are you content with your life?

2. I have learned in _____________________ situation I am to be _____________________.

3. What is one practical step you can take this week to help you be content?


4. Take a minute and journal your thoughts about this passage:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are devotionals written for the teens. A handful of us are taking turns writing, so it may seem like sporadic passages. It all flows nicely for the teens in their devo books though.

No comments:

Post a Comment