Saturday, September 23, 2017

Romans 15:4

"For whatever was written in former days was written for our instruction, that through endurance and through the encouragement of the Scriptures we might have hope." (ESV)


That word endurance just keeps jumping out at me. It's easy to give up, to throw in the towel.

The times I want to give up the most are probably the times I'm not reading my Bible and praying like I know I should. I'm sure that's why Paul includes the encouragement of Scripture with endurance.


Don't let life get you down. Even when you don't feel like it, read your Bible. If you are feeling discouraged, read the verses below. Through the encouragement of these Scriptures, have hope!

  • Galatians 6:9 -  And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up.
  • Matthew 11:28 - Come to me, all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. (This is Jesus speaking.)
  • John 10:10 - The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. (This is Jesus speaking.)
  • 1 Peter 5:7 - Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you. 
  • Isaiah 26:3 - You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
  • Isaiah 41:10 - So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
  • John 14:26-27 -  But the Advocate, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you. Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid.
  • Psalm 34:17-18 - The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit.
  • 2 Corinthians 12:9-10 - But he said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ’s power may rest on me. That is why, for Christ’s sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~
These are some of my thoughts after reading the Verse of the Day on my YouVersion Bible app.

No comments:

Post a Comment