Sunday, October 21, 2012

Esther 4:14

Encouraging teens to memorize a verse (Esther 4:14) as we study the book in Sunday School...



Now you may be wondering why in the world am I singing this to the tune of Gilligan's Island? Or maybe my singing is so terrible that you couldn't tell that's what it was... but either way, I'll tell you.

In 2001, our youth group did a missions trip to Maine and we ran a VBS in a little town there. I dressed up as ER (a huge dalmatian) each day. Towards the end of the week, the kids were trying to guess who was in the costume so I would be in the room as ER, leave and switch to my regular clothes and come back into the room. Each time I came into the room, as myself or ER, I would make a scene so the kids would be sure to see me.

At one point when entering the room, we were going over the memory verse for the day. I suggested to Jeff (our youth pastor) from across the room that he should sing it for us. His response was sure, come do it with me. So I went up from and we did an impromptu duet of Esther 4:14 to the tune of Gilligan's Island.

Once we returned home, I told people this story and everyone would then ask me to sing it for them. So I ended up memorizing the verse as well and can still sing it 11 years later.

No comments:

Post a Comment